NWSR Banner

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Can a crack in a solid surface sink be repaired?

The short answer is no.

If a solid surface sink ever gets a crack in it the only proper remedy for it is to replace the sink. Unlike your actual countertop which can be repaired if it is cracked, a solid surface sink can not be repaired if it is cracked.

Having said that, I'll say this. Since I am sure that there are some "diy" types that may read this blog entry and then think to themselves, "I bet I can fix it with some epoxy or something." There is one way to do a repair on a solid surface sink crack without replacing the sink.

I would personally not ever do this repair because it is certainly a hack job type of fix and it will be ugly to look at as well as not standing up beyond the first week of use,(but I have seen where others have done this).

It can be cut into with a dremel tool and then filled with the color matching solid surface adhesive. Let it dry, sand it down. And now you have a very ugly, unreliable repair for the sink crack. It is much cheaper to do this than to have the sink replaced but it is a waste of money if you pay someone else to do it because you will pay them, they will do it, and then you will pay them or someone else to replace your sink in the not too distant future because that repair will certainly, definitely fail.

This option should be reserved for "do it yourselfers" that are not concerned with the appearance or the longevity of the repair.

Now that I have said all that I think it would be a good idea for me to post some photos of this type of fix. Sometime down the road I will do a "mock repair" on a sink that I have cutout of someones countertop so my readers can see exactly what I am talking about.
IF YOU NEED SOLID SURFACE OR STONE COUNTERTOP REPAIR AND YOU LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA CLICK HERE!

IF YOU NEED SOLID SURFACE OR STONE COUNTERTOP REPAIR AND YOU DON'T LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA CLICK HERE!

Learn to lay tile in 6 days with these simple to follow videos!

No comments: