NWSR Banner

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Avonite Countertop Repair. High Point, NC.




This is an Avonite countertop repair. As you can see it has a crack that is about 22" long and irregular.

I was contacted by Realtor Sharon Sink with Ed Price Realty about this job. She could get the prospective buyers to close on this by the end of the week if I could do a satisfactory repair for her. Of course, I could do better than satisfactory. Here it is.

Now wouldn't you know it, this particular flavor of Avonite is discontinued and of course the homeowner did not have any cutting boards or sink cutouts to use for the repair. We decided the only way to make the repair happen was to steal the side splash from the oven cabinet wall and use it for the repair material. Of course that means that we will need to do something else for the oven cabinet panel since it is kind of messed up where the silicone was holding the splash to the wall.

I decided to start checking with my network of fabricators around the country and to my surprise I finally found some of the material. It ended being the last piece that Aristech Acrylics had and they sent it to me quickly. Thank You Aristech Acrylics for that!

Now, with the splash off the wall we are ready to start fixing this thing. I could have sworn that I had a picture of the splash off the wall, but nooo!



Anyway, here is the bad area after I have cut through the cracked area in preparation for the new repair piece to be inserted.




Here is the inlay of repair material that I got from the sidesplash. The reason for using the sidesplash for the repair is, I can use it because it is the same dye lot as the rest of the countertop. The new replacement splash will be the same color but will definitely be from a different dye lot. The dye lot is one of the main components in getting an invisible repair. Here is a non dye lot repair so you can see the difference.


Here you have it. The final result. A flawless, invisible repair. The prospective buyers became the actual buyers and closed on the house by week's end. The new owner's and the Realtor,Sharon Sink were both extremely pleased. I look forward to working with Sharon again in the future.

Avonite Countertop Repair in High Point NC done by Complete Solid Surface Refinishing in Beautiful North Carolina!

No comments: